So don't you over complicate it

May 28, 2017
' I got big dreams baby, I got big dreams baby. So don't you over complicate it'

This is a lyric from one my favourite artist Ellie Goulding song ' Don't panic', & is about overthinking & over complicating things in our mind. Something I'm all too familiar with, however it's something I've been working on. Not long ago I struggled with anxiety, and it's something which still affects me from time to time, however it dosen't take over my life like it used too.

From the end of high school right up until I was 21 was probably when I struggled the most. I was so anxious all the time. I used to spend so much of time not doing things I wanted to do because my brain would talk me out of it. Some days simple things tasks such as taking a bus or going to the supermarket seemed impossible. I spent most of my days in a constant state of fear, it was horrible and not how I wanted to continue living. I wasn't aware at the time what was happening, and I was afraid to open up to anyone. Most of the time I felt very alone in my struggles, which led me to becoming very unhappy. At the time I had no idea what to do, & I felt like I was isolating myself from people I was close with. It wasn't until I came across a video from a famous you-tuber who openly talked about her anxiety struggles to make me realise what was going on.

I knew I wanted to change, and it's something I worked really hard at. It wasn't easy, I had to completely change my state of mind which took a lot of work. It's something I did on my own, and I read a lot and listened to other people's experiences to learn & apply that to myself. The thing about anxiety is that it is so different for everyone, so one thing that works for someone might not work for someone else. I had to figure out what was holding me back and work through that.

Slowly  my mindset started to change, and my anxiety stopped controlling my life. I started doing stuff without feeling the sense of fear I used too, and things that I once couldn't do didn't seem so daunting anymore. I've stopped talking myself out of things, or over complicating things so much in my brain, & for once I feel like I can turn off the side my of brain which was once holding me back.

It's a little scary opening up about things like this, especially to the inter-webs but lately I've been reading more posts about people opening up and I think it helps to make more people realise that you are normal & you are not alone in your feelings. If it wasn't for a you-tuber opening up about her anxiety it probably would of taken me a lot longer to figure mine out. 

This is only a short post, I could probably ramble on for a lot longer but I didn't want to do that. I just wanted to let anyone who may be struggling that you are not alone. What might be holding you back now won't be forever, you got this. & if you ever need someone to talk to then I am always here, no matter who you are.




Em x
Post Comment
Post a Comment